A template for a resolution for you to send to your state legislature requiring the Federal Government to reign itself back into it's Constitutional constraints and cease imposing its will on the States. Remember, the Federal Government is an agent of the States, not the other way around.
- WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people"; and
- WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the Constitution of the United States and no more; and
- WHEREAS, the scope of power defined by the Tenth Amendment means that the federal government was created by the states specifically to be an agent of the states; and
- WHEREAS, today, in 2009, the states are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and
- WHEREAS, many federal laws are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and
- WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment assures that we, the people of the United States of America and each sovereign state in the Union of States, now have, and have always had, rights the federal government may not usurp; and
- WHEREAS, Article IV, section 4, United States Constitution, says in part, "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government", and the Ninth Amendment states that "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people"; and
- WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 112 S. Ct. 2408 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the states; and
- WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States.
THEREFORE - Be it resolved by the House of Representatives of the State of <STATE>, the Senate concurring, that:
- That the State of <STATE> hereby claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.
- That this Resolution serves as notice and demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.
- That all compulsory federal legislation that directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed.
- That the Secretary of State of the State of <STATE> transmit copies of this resolution to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate of each state's legislature and each Member of Congress from the State of <STATE>.
Replace "State of <STATE>" with your state or commonwealth and send it away. Or create this as a petition, gather signatures, then present it to your legislators. Take back your state from the Federal bureaucrats.