- You cannot help the poor, by destroying the rich.
- You cannot strengthen the weak, by weakening the strong.
- You cannot bring about prosperity, by discouraging thrift.
- You cannot lift the wage earner up, by pulling the wage payer down.
- You cannot further the brotherhood of man, by inciting class hatred.
- You cannot build character and courage, by taking away people's initiative and independence.
- You cannot help people permanently, by doing for them what they could and should, do for themselves.
To whom are these attributed to? None other than Abraham Lincoln. Sad that after all these years, our politicians haven't learned these lessons, and our citizenry hasn't elected politicians that do get it.